Living in So-Cal means that Summer Skincare is always on our minds here at Halfsies. Every year we struggle the perpetual issues of summer… sweating our makeup off, oily sunscreen breakouts, burns, tan lines, & dulled manis (just to name a few).
Here, we put together a list of the most notorious repeat offenders—-plus, an arsenal of tips that leave you on top and #winning! (We love winning)
1. I always hear that if I don’t wear sunscreen, my skin will age prematurely, get wrinkly, and suffer from sunspots. I don’t want that, but sunscreen always makes me break out like crazy! What can I do to have the best of both worlds?
This is a common issue for women of all ages, but with time we’ve realized that it all comes down to your skin type, and the quality of the products that you’re using! Shiseido & Lancaster Sun Sport make excellent face sunscreens that are super protective and won’t make you break out (Halfsies tested!). Lancaster Comfort Touch Cream is a great base that “provides an ideal gradual golden tan while maintaining firmness and elasticity.” Cover up with the makeup found in Shiseido’s UV Protective Stick Foundation. This combo should provide the perfect amount of coverage & sun protection. Our #1 tip? Don’t make the mistake of caking makeup over your sunscreen… if you’re spending a day in the sun, chances are you’ll sweat off all those layers anyways! Keep coverage light, and you’ll avoid sweating it all off!
2. Summer is the time to show off my cute mani-pedi, but just one day in the sand or chlorine and my nails lose their luster and start to fade!! What can I do to keep my polish looking fresh?
This is a perpetual problem for all of us, but there are 2 simple solutions. First, make sure you’ve got on a solid top coat. If your mani/pedi is more than a few days old, we suggest reapplying a protective top coat. Second, lather yourself up with sunscreen! Gross as it sounds, sunscreen can double as a cuticle/nail oil and will keep your polish fresh by acting as a protective layer.
3. I hate wearing makeup when it’s super warm, especially if I know I’m going to be near water (ocean, pools, etc). Waterproof products get clumpy and are so hard to remove at the end of the day, but non waterproof turn into a sweaty smeared mess! Don’t even get me started on face makeup.
Go with the waterproof stuff. Stila Stay All Day Liquid Liner is a faveeee for all the time (not just when you’re exposed to the water). Use it, use it, use it! And while waterproof mascara can get clumpy, it will flake off instead of smearing all over your pretty face. Plus, once makeup starts to smear, you’ll likely rub your eyes/face, exposing the thin, sensitive skin near your eyes to extra sun damage!! Premature eye wrinkles, NO thank you! Maybelline Great Lash Waterproof Mascara is a classic, and is super affordable (yay!). Another solid option? Curl your lashes and ditch the eye makeup altogether (we heart Tweezerman’s eyelash curler). If you’re in the sun, you should be hiding under a pair of good quality sunnies anyways. As for face makeup, choose something that already has SPF built in. We like Shiseido’s UV Protective Stick Foundation (above) or Coola Face SPF 30 Mineral Matte Tint Unscented. Coola is amazeballs because it’s chemical free and lightly tinted. It protects you from the sun and all the chemical crap that’s found in other sunscreens. Talk about a winner.
4. I know excess sun exposure can lead to serious healthcare concerns, but I’m very fair skinned and need that extra pigment to make me glow! Spray tans can get pricey quickly. Any suggestions?
Ditch the sun exposure and fake it! Try to stay under umbrellas when you’re at the beach or pool, and make sure that you’re wearing at least SPF50 when there’s no shade. Set yourself up for success by using fake-tanning products like Bare Minerals Faux on the Go Tan for body and face, or St. Tropez Self Tan Bronzing Mousse. Both are easy to apply at home and provide streak-free results.
5. What areas am I forgetting when I apply my sunscreen?
Don’t forget your hair part, the tops of your feet, your fingers, or your ears! Try Aveda Sun Care Protective Hair Veil for your hair!
6. Lotion makes me feel sticky during peak summer temps. How do I stay moisturized without feeling icky all the time?
Use the spray stuff! Vaseline sells cheapy body lotion sprays, but out favorite light-weight formula is H20 plus Sea Moss Replenishing Body Lotion Spray. The hints of fresh Water Lilly are super refreshing, and the misty spray moisturizes and cools simultaneously.
7. I want to use really high SPF sunscreens, but they’re nearly impossible to spread because they’re so thick! What can I do?
Try mixing your sunscreen with an SPF infused body oil. It really helps your sunscreen to spread without diluting the content! Clarins Sunscreen Care Oil Spray SPF 30 is the bomb!
Got any unanswered questions? Additional tips? We’d love to hear!! Comment below :)